View Single Post
Old 09-21-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Getting a High Risk Profession To...

Hi Gang,

As many of you know, I have taken on a new position as a nurse manager on a medical / surgical floor. And again as many of you know, nursing is a high risk profession for spine injury - both cervical and lumbar.

Anyways, I am trying to get my nurses to "buy into" saving their backs....if they only knew my history - let alone the history of others on this board - they would take pause and perhaps think things through a bit. However, I am in a position where I have to watch what I say and not show signs of weakness just because of the nature of being in a leadership position - thus telling them my story would in a way be a counterproductive effort.

I'm starting with baby steps sort of speak just encouraging them to use gait belts when attempting to transfer patients from a bed to a chair or walk them (patients) or whatever. However, I am getting looks like - what a wuss! This manager doesn't know anything.....

If I had it my way - I would push for a "no lift" facility. I would have over bed cranes installed in every room & etc - once I could "sell" the idea to the CFO, CNO, CEO, & COO. - Especially, if I can prove number of lost work days related to musculoskeletal injury in health care at this particular facility. However, I have the feeling this is going to take a major culture change considering that I am just beating my head against the wall trying to make them (nurses) use the gait belts when they are perfoming a nursing procedure placing their backs more at risk for injury by just moving / lifting patients.

I know that there are nurses on this forum and I am looking for input especially from the to buy into the gait belt idea until I can prove my number game with "mohagany row"...

I am also wanting to think outside the box and willing to consider ideas from others from other professions and industries to remedy this problem.

I just wish these nurses knew that I am just trying to protect them because I don't want them to go through what I/we have gone through or are currently going through.

BTW - Management is NOT what I expected!!! Alot of hours involved, sometimes having to be the "bad guy" making others mind rules and other safety issues - let alone schedules - I can only describe schedueling in one word with 40 FTE's ---- ewwwwww!!!!!

Okay, enough of my rant - time to listen to suggestion / advice / counsel.

Poncho