View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 04:04 AM

Wow what a hard thing to try to change the habits and mind set of nurses!
I know myself personally, if some one would have taken me aside and confided a personal story of a nurse who could no longer work due to multiple back injuries, I would have listened and been sympathetic. I at the same time would have said to myself it won't happen to me!

After my first few injuries I did take a job with the State of Calif as a health facilities Evaluator Nurse. I had no lifting or direct patient care. Sounds perfect. I hated it! I could not just be serious all the time and write facilities up for stupid stuff. There were things that I felt very strongly about and had no problem sticking it to the hospital...it was just so far removed from being an actual nurse that I ran back to my med/surg telemetry floor.

Unfortunately I went back thinking I was all better and continued the same things that got me injured in the first place. So here I am now fighting Social Sec for a measly disability check as I am unable to go back to work. I would probably last a shift or two but then I would be in bed for 7.
I never thought it would happen to me! It did happen to me! It happens to many nurses!
Maybe you can print this and post it on a board where your nurses can read it.
My advice to all nurses is ...work smarter...work together...work safely...take care of each other. If every injured non working nurse was still in the work force maybe the shortage would not be so profound!
Good luck with the no lift policy! That and lift teams are the only way to go !