View Single Post
Old 09-22-2007, 04:30 PM

Default re management

Sue,
Having worked in management long ago in nursing I can attest to the much longer work hours than expected let alone the need to show leadership and lack of weakness.

The best facility I worked at in terms of utilizing lifting devices for patients was the VA in SF. The night shift had it down moving from one patient to the next as a team. It was actually the best team effort I have ever seen when it came to lifting/moving patients. I do believe all VA's are equipped more or less the same and it seemed that was one environment that was definately into protecting the spinal health of their employees. Again, it's been some time since I've been in these settings so the devices may have improved greatly or they may be dinosaurs that are still being utilized (that wouldn't surprise me in health care).

Having worked in a number of neurosurgical settings the belts and lift and move devices were also utilized for full body lifts. Of course when I injured my spine there was this thing called "Primary Nursing" and we had to do it all and there was no equipment such as this (mind you at UCSF in Neurosurgery at the time).

I am completely with you in terms of educating the nursing and allied health staff re spinal health and in facilities I worked at there were classes that included how to lift and move patients safely.

If you'd ever like a guest speaker and can afford the 3 seats to fly me out there~ I'd be happy to tell your nurses my story and help in an educational process!

BTW, congrats on your position and wishing you continued good spinal health!

Last edited by Maria; 09-22-2007 at 04:33 PM.