Thread: Update
View Single Post
Old 09-25-2007, 01:58 PM

Talking Update

I am three months post-op from my 3-level ADR with Dr. Bertagnoli. I cannot believe how much my quality of life has improved since surgery.I see a physiotherapist once a week, mainly for upper body massage / manipulation & acupuncture, as I have a series of daily exercises I do at home, focusing mainly on core strengthening and stretching. It seems I unconsciously protect my lower back, causing stress to my upper body. Next week I am returning to a self-directed therapy swim program now that I can resume full range-of-motion. I am walking up to 10 km (6 miles) several days per week.
For the most part, my pain level is pretty minimal. I do have rough days where it peaks around a 6 -8 level. I have cut out the Amitriptyline completely, stopped the Flexeril and decreased the Oxycontin to 20 - 40 mg daily prn. I find if I keep active, my pain level is minimal to managable at a 3 - 4 level. I do have bilateral hip pain a few times per week which does concern me that it's the L1/2 and 2/3 rearing its ugly head.
The numbness to my left foot and lower leg continues, but while bothersome, I can live with it. It seems I have developed lymphodema to my left leg. Again, if I keep active, the swelling and discomfort are minimized. I do have to be careful when walking as the numbness to my right foot increases greatly. I must watch every step to avoid falling. I did have a fall two weeks ago, one moment of inattention and down I went. It only resulted in a bruised and banged up knee; thank goodness I continue to wear my back brace with the strapping when I am out walking or hiking. My hubby wants me to wear knee and elbow pads as well as a helmet... , yah, I don't THINK so!!! He does drive me a little crazy with his mother hen thing! I did get a pair of trekking sticks in Germany and I LOVE them. I am so excited; we are going up to Tobermory and the Bruce Penisula to camp and hike this weekend, the fall colours should be spectacular!!
Okay, folks, when does the distraction pain rear its ugly head? Given it is next to impossible to see my family doc more than once per 3 month period, I thought I should be proactive and get a script for Lyrica or Neurotin when I see her this week.
By the way, Mark, I finally got that package mailed out to you on Monday. I am such a procrastinator!!