View Single Post
Old 10-14-2007, 09:24 PM

Default Disk Replacement at Stenum Hospital, Bremen, Deutschland

A cervical disk damaged 20 years ago in a diving accident herniated last Friday causing excruciating pain and temporary immobility. I am extremely active in long distance cross county running, swimming, and biking and also enjoy weight training. I am currently functional within the context of living inside the house. Not much else. I have gathered all data available via internet regarding spinal surgery and disk replacement. My findings are as follows:

The gold standard for disk removal and fusion of vertabrae is a short term option with reduced mobility, increased susceptibility to pain due to spinal jarring during routine events (My friend had two vertabrae in his neck fused but had to give up fishing due to rocking of boat which resulted in extreme discomfort), and certain failure of surrounding disks in a domino effect due to increased stress being transferred to the surrounding disks.

Disk replacement alternatives are not widely practiced and represent a relatively new option in the United States. The bulk of experience and best technology for disk replacement seems to reside in Deutschland. Stenum Hospital in particular appears to be a leader in the field. I am currently considering a path for surgery at Stenum. Can anyone provide me data on Stenum related cervical disk replacement experiences?

Sincerely, Richard Jung

MRI Indications:

Small right paracentral disc protrusion at C5-C6. Approximately 2mm of subluxation at C5-C6.

Degenerative disk disease with annular bulging and subchondral bone reaction at C6-C7 with moderately severe right neuroforaminal narrowing and moderate narrowing of the left foramen.

C7-T1 has moderate left neuroforaminal narrowing from the posteromarginal osteophyte.

Last edited by relentlessss; 10-16-2007 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Update with MRI data