View Single Post
Old 10-30-2007, 12:42 AM

Thank you all so much for the invaluable input and, of course, kind words. I'm looking forward to thinking about what you've said, googling a bit, and then talking to you all more specifically. (Mariaa, I've followed your story. I've been just where you are right now, so often in the course of my gimphood. We could talk forever.)

Right now, I'm most focused on the risks of adjacent level degeneration and nerve damage. Certainly, fusion has the rap for adjacent segment syndrome. The statistics are grim, but I would like to see the stats for single level L5/S1. Sure enough, without much google effort, I found a pro-fusion guy confidently asserting that, at L5/S1, "there is minimal motion, so fusing does not significantly change the biomechanics of the segment."

Nerve damage I have a lot of questions about. Both procedures involve distracting the disc space during the surgery. And--this I've never understood--both also proudly claim to permanently "jack up" the disc, "restore disc height." Now, from the pictures it appears to me that both fusion cages and ADRs stretch the space, not just more than pre-surgery, but more than normal. This is a good thing? Why do I want to grow an inch after surgery? That just seems awfully brutal on the nerve roots. I could understand if a patient has radicular pain due to a disc space so flat, there was impingement on the nerve roots. But that's not my case. I don't have any leg pain.

So which is worse for nerve damage, fusion or ADR? It seems to me I never heard of "distraction pain" before ADR. But nerve damage is considered a not uncommon complication of fusion. And there are so many variations on the fusion theme, who knows what outcomes correlate to what flavor? Perhaps some of the new procedures succeed in minimizing the trauma.

Finally, this is a weird factor to ponder. I've somewhat suspected that fusion is for patients with great loss of disc height, and ADR for patients who still have good height. And that's not just because the other option is ruled out, but because those respective symptoms work best with the two respective procedures. Now, in the same article from the pro-fusion guy I quoted above, very strong confirmation: "The two findings on the MRI that correlate best with a successful postoperative outcome is the presence of disc space collapse and cartiliginous endplate erosion. Findings such as disc bulge, disc dessication or an annular tear do not correlate well with a successful outcome." Isn't that weird?

To be continued.