Thread: 2-Level Dynesys
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Sunflower,
My pre op pain sounds much like what you describe and always on my right side and to the foot. I never had a dicogram and from what I hear it is not pleasant. My problem was herniation L5-S1 for which I first had a microdicectomy. That worked for a few months and then the pain returned. Finally almost 2 years later I got my doc to order a new mri (seemed like he thought he had to pay for it himself) and I had herniation again and scar tissue. I also have a buldge at L4-L5 that they seem to think doesn't cause pain but I am wondering if that is not the case.
It has been 10 months for me since my dynesys at L5-S1. Only 1 level for me. I am in much better shape now than before. I have far less pain although I do get some nerve stuff down my leg still, but it is not near the pre op stuff. I do now have restless leg syndrome since surgery and my reseach finds that it may be related to back surgery, not that any doc I see will say it.
All in all I am doing great. Now in saying that..if I do very little I am great. When I try to increase my activity as in house work, grocery shopping, lifting, bending or stooping I feel it and it puts me down for a few days. The surgery is a success to the surgeon, but as for me...I would like to be able to do normal things.
Like you I started walking in the shallow end of my pool. BURRR! It was cold getting out even in the summer and I would tense up so much it hurt worse. I started taking a very warm terry robe with me and as soon as I got out I put in on. Forget the towel it take s to long. I also do my treadmill 30 min a day at about 2.8 MPH, no incline, back still doesn't like that. I do my recumbent bike every other day also. I was doing good with these activities but it didn't translate into normal activities...I have no idea why not!
I haven't done the treadmill or bike for a month now as I decided to be stupid and fall on some stairs and hit my thoracic spine, I broke a few ribs and who knows what else. I am on the mend now and will try to get back on an exercise program.
Like Mark said...which I didn't want to jump out their and say...I think it sounds like you are having more than expected pain. I can say with out a doubt, I never had the kind of pain to the extent you describe post op.
I so hope you start to feel better soon.