View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 07:41 AM
Administrator

I asked at Neurography Institute about the patent limiting access to such important technology. This is not a direct quote... I'm paraphrasing some of the reply...
The MRN is patented to protect the quality of the scans delivered. There are many radiological facilities claiming to produce nerve imaging. The problem is there are no nerves appreciated on them past the nerve roots (that have been seen so far). The quality of some studies would be very low, and of no use, if we “opened the gates” and let everyone use the MRN protocols. Some sites have been shut down because the technologists failed time after time to run correct MRN protocols. We simply must maintain the quality.
Based on what I've seen, $1800 for this scan does not seem unreasonable. While cash pay patients can get traditional MRI's for under $1000, I've heard of several patients who were expected to pay 'billed amounts' in excess of $2000 when their insurance companies denied coverage. (This happened to me personally, but I never had to pay, because the insurance company finally came through.

Mark