View Single Post
Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Default myelogram

After one months bed rest in a London hospital in 1983 I was given a myelogram (or radiculogram) in the London Hospital for Nervous Diseases.
I was told they were using a new contrast medium "Iohexol" and that I wouldn't get a headache.
The procedure went ok except my thigh muscles felt very crampy. When I was returned to the ward I was told to drink about 2 litres of water so I wouldn't get a headache......It didn't work!
Boy oh boy was I ill. Severe headache, and vomiting every time I moved my eyes and I couldn't stand the light from the window.
Was given an injection to try and stop the vomiting and the curtains were drawn. I was told to stay upright in bed and not to lie flat. The vomiting ceased after about 12 hours but the laminectomy (my first back op ) was delayed by about a week whilst I recovered from the myelogram.
Nothing was discussed and no blood patch or I/V antibiotics given. It left me with purple shadows under my eyes and it felt at the time like an elephant was sitting on my head.
When my second back op was imminent I refused another myelogram and paid privately for a CT scan and then an MRI instead.
Anything than undergo such a frightening procedure again.