View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 03:04 PM

Default there are many out there

I just have to say that I've spoken with many persons that have not had surgery but have DDD and or previous spine problems and almost had surgery (discectomies first step usually).

For whatever reason, these persons got better without any surgical involvement, without pain medication, and most likely or definately with continuing degeneration in their spine.

In my own case I had gotten relief for about a year that was outstanding compared to what I had been for the prior 13 years at least. Yes, on pain meds, yes ESIs up to that year so I cannot say that "I'm better" only that I was functioning better.

Now I'm having cervical probs related to DDD and bulging disc and I think I'd tackle this as soon as it would be recommended for me re disc replacement as the pain meds don't touch how this affects me.

The flat tires I deal with in the lumbar spine are still annoying, still give me grief and still limit me however I still function better than I did several years ago.

I'll have a bone mineral density test done this spring and see where I'm at with that and what I feel like doing as to date WC is still on the books to pay for a 2 level surgery. Hoping I'm not pushing this to involve 3 levels and only with fusion left as option and if so, I'd have take out a loan, get bucks and go abroad as I don't want a 3 level lumbar fusion. I've been hoping that sooner than later the use of vertebroplasty might become FDA approved for persons with low bone density or at least have it on hand to use if need be..

There are so many more surgical options out there now and so much more access to differing options as to where to go to do what. For this I'm extremely thankful as having access to even learning about options gives so much more hope that one day I may decide to deal with my flat arse lumbar tires.

Last edited by Maria; 01-04-2008 at 03:11 PM.