View Single Post
Old 01-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Administrator

pittpete.... it's a subjective view of the disc. I'm fine-tuning my theories about waiting for surgery, or even trying minimally invasive surgeries based on recent experiences with clients (and my wife.)

If you have a new disc protrusion and good disc height that may likely heal, both conservative treatment or minimally invasive discectomy may be the best bet. However, if you have a long circumferential tear and bulging across the entire posterior aspect of the disc and moderate to severe collapse, the idea of waiting or having MISS hoping to salvage the disc.... one must balance the increased risk incurred with not fixing the system, AND the reduced chance of success of the less invasive options.

My point is that the further you are down the degenerative cascade, the less likely you are to have success in salvaging the disc AND the more likely you are to damage future options because of ongoing and increasing abuse of other other elements of your spine. Not only can you give up options, but even if you retain the options, the chance of success may be reduced.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org