View Single Post
Old 01-10-2008, 04:45 AM

Exclamation ADR or Nucleus Replacement for L4/L5

Hi everyone, this is my first post and like everyone here I'm just looking for a solution. I'm a 33 year old male who's not sure if I should go with ADR or DASCOR. I'm very hesitant to take the next step since there's no long term studies. I would love to hear from people who have traveled down the road that I may take. And sorry about the long story it's the shortest I can do.

In the Beginning:
Since the first quarter of 2001 I herniated my L4/L5 in a martial arts class from puching pads with a twisting motion. I got a stinging pain down the center of my lumbar. At the time I only had back pain and no symptoms on my feet or legs. I was able to continue my activites of Judo (falling) and snowboarding with pain management.
I did not use any medications. I started off with adjustments and moved on to Japanese/Chinese accupuncture, physical therapy (stretching and core strengthening), heat and stimulation, ultra sound waves. This was all steady routine until the evening of June 2005.

The Crippling Effect:
I woke up screaming as my right calf cramped right below the knee, right foot went numb (top part) and my ankle felt sprained without any swelling. In the evenings I had to use crutches because of the sprained ankle feeling. I couldn't even rest it on a pillow because of the weight of my foot would hurt my ankle. The only comfortable position was standing with crutches to keep my foot suspended. The sprained feeling would go away when I would ice my lumbar. Could not sit down to use the bathroom or sleep on my right side because of the gluteus med muscle.

Long Road to Recovery:
From the end of June 2005 I started my first session of spinal decompression on the DRX9000. By the 8th session I was off crutches. My doctor addressed my problem aggresively by putting me on the table 5 days a week at 150 lbs at max with 75 lbs of rest. I started to plateau at around the 40th session and went on to 120+ days on the table. To this day the DRX9000 has helped me the most, even before my first surgery. In between those days I also did physical therapy. Still wasn't using medications. Numbness and leg cramps persisted. I tried just about everything from A-Z to avoid surgery. It

A Fork in the Road:
On August of 2006 I was informed that I needed surgery when my MRI revealed that my extrusion was more than the allowed guidelines for an M.U.A. (manipulation under anesthesia)

After Surgery:
The only relief I got from surgery was that I don't get the painful leg cramps like I used to. I still can't sleep on my right and still have numbness on my right foot along with tingling and stinging.
I started physical therapy late October 2006. As of 11/07 my MRI negatives show that that my disc looks the same if not worse. The report is just about identical to the one from 08/06. Fourth nerve test now reveals symptoms on the left side.

Conclusion:
I can only sleep on my left side. Any other position causes my right foot to cramp. The inconsistent symptoms that I feel are begining to take a toll on my body.
Where the symptoms apear (with the exception of the left foot now) seem to be the only set pattern not when. When symptoms do happen it can be from every few days, to weeks, to months and as long as to a year in some instances. Most of the symptoms are non-existent when standing. Thanks for listening
2007 - previous symptoms starting on left side and need surgery again

Last edited by Al Guapo; 01-10-2008 at 05:05 AM.