View Single Post
Old 11-05-2006, 11:03 PM

I cancelled our MRN appointment with Dr. Filler after I received some wise words from someone who is way further along the brachial plexus thing than we are. At the time I asked the question that started this thread, we were unable to get an MRI here and the MRN looked like a good bet. But we ended up getting the MRI here, and I had meanwhile learned that MRI's are not the answer, nor are MRN's - things can be missed on both. (Not to mention out of pocket costs of $4000+) And as someone else said, (was it you, Mark M.?) if you are looking for anomalies on nerves, you'll always find them. That said, my contact has seen Dr. Filler for BP issues and is reasonably impressed with him.

As to why the technology is so limited in its availability, it is not so much an issue of copyright or even competence, as it is one of proof of efficacy. There are some published articles on MRN, but insufficient conclusive data yet to satisfy others that the extra training and software is worth the cost. For example, my contact was pleased that the MRN showed nerve avulsions that the MRI had not, but when the surgeon opened him up, he found another avulsion that read as normal on the MRN.

Last edited by fortitudine; 11-05-2006 at 11:06 PM.