View Single Post
Old 11-06-2006, 11:37 PM

Default Time to see the NS

Hi Rob,
Do your legs feel 'heavy', as if you are walking through water? That's the way mine felt when I had edema (equals cord compression) in my spinal cord at c 3/4/5. It was a very weird feeling - they moved fine but felt sluggish.Didn't last for more than a few days. I have also had times when parts of the legs- shins, feet, felt a bit odd, but only for a few hours at a time, and usually some wiggling around of the neck and spine would fix it.

At the least it does sound like it's time for you to have another MRI, which can then be compared to any previous films for any worrisome changes. Hopefully it will put your mind at rest or help you make a decision. It's no fun living in limbo!

Per Dr. Fenk-Mayer's recommendations I'm having a new MRI - my 4th in 2 1/2 years - on Dec.2, at a new location. It will be interesting to see what they say, since they don't have the history that the previous clinic does - will it be RED ALERT: cord compression, imminent paralysis, etc or ??? (I've waited 6 months to get one for free under or public health care system)

Have you made any changes in your daily pattern that might explain things? As always, caffeine exacerbates symptoms quite a bit, as do diuretics, which I take minimally and sparingly to prevent lymph edema from the NSAIDS I'm on. Clearly dehydration is hard on a compressed cord. Also, I start to feel a bit 'off' if I don't move regularly, i.e aquacize at least 4x a week. Bad posture also doesn't help.

All of us with a similar situation run the risk of being paralysed by a whiplash-type injury; other than that it's kind of what works for you. It's good you have an appointment soon; getting in to see an NS in 5 weeks would be considered a miracle here - hopefully he will be helpful and not alarmist. Just remember: if he says you seem okay, ask how quickly you can see him if things start to go sideways. i.e. have a backup plan.