View Single Post
Old 03-27-2008, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Default Some surgery details..

Taking a quick minute to add more detail. 2-level ProDisc done this afternoon. Surgery went as well as it can possibly go. Large anterior herniation at L5-S1 was somewhat inflamed. Very substantial defect in posterior annulus and PLL, dura visible through hole. Surgery confirmed what we only learned yesterday on discography... very severely compromised annulus at L4-5. Large circumferential tear... disc bulge/protrusion still contained by intact PLL, but this disc was severely compromised and based on discography, was painful. There are so many serious issues surrounding what we discovered about L4-5... I hope to write a substantial account of it... and we'll introduce a new term... auto-adjacent level degeneration.... Coming soon to a forum near you.

The good news is that Diane has been resting comfortably since the surgery. Medication level is VERY low compared to what I'm used to seeing. She rolls over without wincing too much. She's been sleeping most of the time, inspite of the low med levels. Both feet are warm and strong... not complaining of new leg pain or numbness (which can still come on in the days following the surgery). Recently, she's complaining of hip pain, which is also common and not something I'm concerned about.

It's still way early... but all signs are positive. Thanks for all your support... she'll be glad to see your posts.

All the best,

Mark

PS... I went to Giovanni's and got her a pizza, but she was asleep, so I gave it to the nurses!
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 03-27-2008 at 12:30 PM.