View Single Post
Old 03-30-2008, 03:28 PM

I just wanted to make a quick post in case any of you are facing a discogram. I know Mark has been keeping you updated and this may be disjointed. First, THANK YOU to everyone for your encouragement and well wishes; all were appreciated. THANK YOU to those who have posted and emailed in the past few days with success stories. It's great to hear the positive. It seems like before my surgery, all Mark's client's I heard about and posts I read were about complications. I've heard all sides of spine surgery and know the risks of general surgery, but of course, you hope it's not going to be you.

Back to the discogram. I think I was more apprehensive waiting for the discogram that I was for the surgery because of all the stories I've heard. It may just be my nature - one thing at a time - and the discogram was next. Honestly, it was easier than my epidural or CT Myelogram. Mark said he was going to tell me that it's like going to the dentist, but he remembered that I have not had good dental experiences!

I barely felt Dr. Bertagnoli insert the needle. When the disc was pressurized, I felt a sudden jolt of pain, but then it was gone instantly. Dr. Bertagnoli tested the level again and it was positive for pain and an annular tear. Mark gave a big, "YES!" when he saw the results, even before I jumped. He was happy that I'd get a 2-level disc replacement. The whole time, I'd been hoping for a single-level, thinking that the incision would be smaller and the recovery quicker. But, after the positive response, I was happy to be getting 2 levels done and some validation for my symptoms. Speaking with Dr. B before and after the procedure was so calming. I truly believe that he's a genius with the needles. No more thoughts like; "Should I do this now", "My pain isn't bad enough", etc... I was getting 2 levels done and in good hands, Mark's and Dr. B's.

Love,

Diane