View Single Post
Old 04-10-2008, 05:19 PM

Default no prob re questions..

Janene,
I guess I want to add that I'm not a spine guru or anything like that. Just someone that has had back probs for almost half my life so kind of going from there. I don't mind questions at all altho I don't always know the answer tho am giving some general info.

Incontinence/loss of bowel or bladder tone = no control over your functions such as having bowel movement and not feeling it, just going, same with urination, you just go/no control.

Ok, re central disc bulge/protrusion/herniation~ when I have a severe flare up (like recently) I cannot bear down to have a bowel movement as I feel pain right in the center of the area where my spine hurts and it's like a slicing pain or I have likened it to a sledgehammer coming down on a surface ~ a big ouch! So I cannot push for low back pain limiting me.

I think this might be what you're feeling. The involved disc is irritated and when you push you are putting weight on this disc space and sort of squishing the disc and irritating disc material may leak out and irritate involved nerve so if there's a problem there you may feel it very intensely. At least that is my take on it. Every time I've had a severe flare up or a prolonged period of flareup pain, I go thru this. I've had 2 discectomies (removal of bulging disc) but still have disc bulge at L4 and L5S1. And you are probably having some degree of muscle spasms contributing to your pain syndrome (thobbing in spine, etc).

Stool softeners are helpful then so that you don't get constipated unless you don't really have a prob with going, just have to push to go or push too much. Remember to drink plenty of water, and eat well with fruits, salad, whatever helps you *go* more easily~

And bombs away with questions.. I know others here will fill in with more answers, add to, correct, whatever re answers~ most of us here have been where you're at in the wondering what's going on stage and waiting to have to have it dealt with or just get an MRI, find out what's going on~

Hope you will be feeling better as well. I'm doing much better today post my visit to doctor and shot of toradol altho I went to do laundry this a.m. and stepped off a curb of about 6 inches w/o realizing it was there. Jolt but no pain like the previous days!! Hope no pain will ensue from that ~ had to miss step on side that is most bothersome usually! Oh well, so far ~ so good!

Last edited by Maria; 04-10-2008 at 07:44 PM.