View Single Post
Old 04-15-2008, 07:12 AM

Hi,

Thank you both for responding.

To answer your question Mark, the symptoms radiating from my neck, scapula into my L. arm and hand were symptoms prior to surgery, but have exacerbated to a much higher level since the surgery with or without the collar.

I have increased my activity level since the 3 week point, but taking it very slowly ... not lifting and am engaging in only light activities. And yes, I did decrease my pain meds - (soma and hydrocodon) (how did you know) but still taking 600 mg of lyrica daily. Why...should I continue taking the prescribed meds? Is there something more I should be doing?

I will be returning for my 6 week follow-up at which time they'll take x-rays.

I agree that this might be from the restructuring and stretching of the nerves and support structures of the spine as you both noted, but even with the restructuring, the nerves are no longer being compressed so why the higher level of pain?

Over the past year or so in my research of adr's, people write about becomming non symptomatic right after surgery....not an exacerbation of the symptoms that brought them to a surgery to begin with so I am a bit baffled.

So I was wondering if the people who remain symptomatic post disc replacements have less of a chance of healing and becomming symptom free or at least less symptomatic?

Also, sahuaro brought up a good point about the tightness in my throat which feels like a protrusion. I guess the intubation could have caused it, but it's weird when I flex or extend my neck (during ROM exercises), I feel a pinching in extension and an obstruction in flexion and protraction. But there is no residual swelling....hmmm?

It sounds like this is all part of the process and I thank you both so much for sharing information. We are all different in our healing and just need to continue to do what is necessary to maxamize the outcome. That's why I am trying to figure out what is going.

Glad to hear that after 10 weeks the neck spasms you were having are gone and I hope your shoulder heals up well. Sounds like therapy has worked well for you.

Be well!

Lyndies