View Single Post
Old 04-16-2008, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria View Post
Rjay,
didn't know if you've read what I posted before so didn't edit.

Re bowels, meds slowing down this function? Pain? Stress.. all can do this or so it's been my experience. Take a laxative if necessary to help like Senakot S which is natural and has senna in it (natural laxative) and the stool softener as well so you won't have to bear down (valsava maneuver) and strain to have a bowel movement. Or have your Primary Care doctor prescribe something for you or recommend such as Miralax which is now sold over the counter (OTC).

Hope you're doing OK. I think freaking out is normal prior to surgery tho I'd want to be sure to get the last word in re any additional symptoms to at least feel I got it out even if they don't mean anything different in terms of plans.
Hi Maria and thanks for that. I have planned to email my sugeon today to tell him of new symptoms and see what he says - It can't hurt really can it....I think we often try not to bother people or want to feel like a pest so just leave things but this is too important not to mention, so will drop him a line.

As for bowels - thanks for advice. Doctor has prescribed me some senakot and laxatives and enima! It's getting a balance...laxatives work a bit too well - even on a lesser dose than prescibed! It's so ironic - 12 years ago I was diagnosed with a form of colitis - I battled with docs to do something for a good 2 years before (they kept saying it was ibs) I could be stood in middle of shops or anywhere and suddenly that was it, I had to go - no matter where - I had no control. I lost my confidence as a result, couldn't get on a bus, got anxiety if there wasn't a toilet near! All because it took me 2 years to persuade docs that it wasn't ibs and to give appropriate treatment. It has taken me 10 years to get over some (not all) of my fears in relation to that and twist of fate........can't go now without enimas etc....life can be so cruel, good job we have a good sense of humour. For me, to ensure I don't lose my confidence again (ie have to dash in public) It's important to get the balance right of laxatives etc So I will have a play with them, see what i can do short term. Long term of course it will need to be looked at. Doc says she doesn't want to jeopordise back operation and will look at it after......something to look forward to then! Aggghhh to lead a normal life.

Thanks for your advice and support it really helps.

rjay