View Single Post
Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 PM
Administrator

You'll never know, except in hindsight. It will definately get better, get worse or stay the same... I'm certain of it!

With episodic problems related to degenerative changes, we can sometimes manage pain and episodes vs. activities so they don't impact our lives to severely. We get to a place where the good time between episodes becomes shorter... length of episodes increase... severity of episodes increase... response to treatments decrease... kind of a vicious cycle. Waiting for surgery is a wonderful thing to do when we have a fighting chance of avoiding it. With some problems, we can hope that things will settle into a non- or less-painful configuration and slowly be immobilized... leading to a good result without surgery. Against our hope is the possibilty that there is a serious structural problem causing our problems... and it will continue to get worse as things collapse further.

It's hard to say who is who.... who benefits by early surgery... who is harmed by early surgery??? Again... only hindsight or a properly adjusted and functioning crystal ball can tell.

Maria... if you have a flare... wait a few days... it may all blow over and just be one of those unfriendly reminders of how close to the edge you are. To answer your original question... I have positional pain too. I stopped doing the back handsprings off the headboard... using different positions now and the pain has subsided.

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org