View Single Post
Old 05-09-2008, 07:38 PM

Default end organ consequences

Jim,
I really don't care much about physiologic dependency anymore however what I care about are end organ consequences such as damage to liver and kidneys and pain relief.

I think the body can habituate to a certain pattern and the pattern might be able to be changed or lengthened/shortened and the like.

I don't have experience with your particular meds, however I have been taking my own meds a way that works for me even if prescribed a certain way. I don't go over the prescribed dosage, usually under it but rather in a pattern that works best for my pain levels, functioning, sleep and so forth.

I found when I was taking Elavil for neuropathic pain that over time (5 years) I was able to go from taking 20mg to 10mg every day then every 3 days, then once a week, then once every two weeks, then every week to not taking it all ~ severe drowsiness was occuring while at work doing Telephone Triage so had to make this change.

At the end of a near 5 year period of Elavil I latter started on Neurontin and lowered this dose by 600mg/day but cannot get under 1800mg/day w/o quite a bit of repercussion.

Methadone is taken once a day vs. multiple times/day for effectiveness and at lower dose than ordered.

Added Fioricet daily (don't like this because of Tylenol) as it seems to help with cervical muscle spasms and TMJ symptoms as well as Migraine prevention.

Good luck with your trial and hope you find a good way to meet your pain relief needs. Again, I'm more concerned with potential end organ problems related to medication intake than physiologic dependence but that's just because I am pd on Methadone...