View Single Post
Old 05-11-2008, 04:07 AM

Cheryl
That pattern seems to work with the valium. I was suspecting some urges on a less frequent use of oxycodone.

Maria,
I had an extremely difficult ordeal giving up cigarettes some 30 years ago. Based on something as mild as nicotene it's hard for me to imagine the difficulty giving up narcotics.

Last summer I was put on Neurontin with an allocation of 15 to 20 oxycodone pills (5mg) per month for break through pain. I have a love-fear relationship with the oxy pills. I always want to take PKs to feel better. I think this is to be expected given the constant chronic pain, however, last month I was suspecting some beyond-pain-relief urges. I asked for tramadol on the next doctor visit. So now I have 40 tramadol pills (50mg) for the next two months. It's not as good as the oxy but they do help and two are as good as an oxy, maybe better (I know tramadol does nothing for some people).

Here's what I'm learning from you about narcotics, namely methadone. There's two major concerns: dependency and organ damage.

Now about dependency. At some point a person in pain says, "I give up, I realize I'll have to deal with dependency at some point in the future, but I am a mess, I need help now."

Then there's organ damage. One must accept it along with the dependency. How long can one go. What can be expected. Does it shorten your life and make one sickly in their later years. Probably very dependent on the individual. I don't expect you to know or answer these questions, but I do wonder about them.

Kathy (Nana4&cntn) on MGH says "I disagree that all short term meds cause the need for increases to accommodate pain. I have been on the same dose of methadone for over 4 years, never needed an increase as I did with vicodin."

Hope everyone is having a low pain day,

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy