SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Asheville, North Carolina USA

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): Maverick, L4-5

COST = Unknown at this time
AMOUNT BILLED:
INSURANCE ALLOWED:
OUT OF POCKET:
TRAVEL:
EXPLANATIONS?

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: Injury at work July 2001. Ruptured L4-5 Disc.

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): Discectomy November 2001, and again February 2002. Did rehab/ work-hardening for 6 weeks. Since that time, constant back pain. Discogram, CT and MRI completed again November 2003.

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Percocet

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): Discogram- and may I add this was absolutely painful. Sent me into bedrest for four days.

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.): Right hip, leg and back of knee. Foot would also swell. Bowel and bladder definately affected. Had to have a colonoscopy in 2003, and they could not get the scope to go but so far, I woke up during the surgery, and it took them forever to get me back under just so they could remove the scope. Bladder: found it very difficult to begin and continue stream. Bladder spasms occassionally.

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to):
30% leg, 70% back pain. On days when i tried to work, the pain level never went below 7. Usually topped off the charts. Ability to work was very limited however my employer (which is not the employer where i was injured) was very tolerant of my limitations. However, i felt like i could only give them 50% of what i was capable of doing.
TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: so far, I'm beginning my third week.

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: Extreme pain the day of surgery. Dilaudid pump made it easier for me to control my pain levels. Tried to stand up that afternoon but the pain overcame me and i just about passed out. 2nd day I walked the halls 3 times. 3rd and 4th day i was just waiting for my bowels to wake up. Went home with Percocet 4x/day. However, i usually only need it 2 times/day. Yeah.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvment, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations.
6. Excellent: no limitations.

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery.

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):
Waiting for an update from RPOWELL.