View Single Post
Old 05-22-2008, 05:09 PM

Default re burning pain

I've long had personal experience with burning pain. It used to be just in the lumbar area where my disc bulges were/are and after a failed surgery it became something that was all down my lower extremities (from about waist down) and lasted 5 miserable years.

The meds I take are what were mentioned already. Methadone and Neurontin. The Neurontin was prescribed for the burning pain and then Methadone added on for pain relief and it did seem to help relieve the residual burning pain I had that the Neurontin didn't cover.

My neck however does have some burning pain that isn't relieved with these meds. Sometimes it has just felt like this rotten burning pain that aggravated muslces have but I have been told I have a disc bulge and DDD in the cervical area as well so I don't doubt I have disc related symptoms from time to time such as burning pain.

My neck has only gone out about 4 times but the last time I could only move my eyeballs to look downward, not my neck at all in any direction without severe pain and severely limited range of motion. After several weeks of my neck not getting significantly better and at the urging of people on this forum, I went to the Urgent Care center nearby. A shot of Toradol was given and I was referred to see my OSS for follow up. The injection of Toradol helped the spasms out so much that much of the pain went away nearly immediately.

The same thing happened the last time my back went out and I couldn't move in any direction even a little without screaming ~ several days later a shot of Toradol released the muscle spasms and I was Ok. No doubt the affected lumbar disc had been aggravated and the spasms were in response to this but still, the toradol was a massive help.

Also what has been helpful for my lumbar symptoms have been ESIs. (Epidural steroid injections). I don't know if I can say the same for my cervical area since I've not really had them recommended/performed for this area.

Hopefully when you get your results from the testing you'll know what's next (meds, surgery, injections, etc). Maybe a combo of some fairly non invasive things to start off with if your cervical picture isn't too bad (surgery not recommended/necessary). Good luck ~

Last edited by Maria; 05-22-2008 at 05:20 PM.