View Single Post
Old 05-31-2008, 06:04 PM

Ok I was a little too general so I looked up the surgery report again. It took weeks for the anesthesia to wear off so it seems so all that is a little bit of a haze.

Yes, now after the surgery all my levels are the same, at about 12mm center height.

The ADR they implanted was only 8.5mm (and "XL" size) but the diskspace looks to be more then that now. I gained a couple of mm at the fusion level as it too was reduced, just not as bad as L4/L5 where I was hitting bone on bone on extension which must have sheared of some of the disc acc to DR. Z., causing the neuro problems. So now I gained a net of about 8mm at L4/L5. The fusion level was about 7mm and now is 12mm. Dr. Z. used a 11mm STALIF peek spacer with 12mm bone grafts...as per surgery report. So 8mm at ADR level + 5mm gain at L5/S1 comes out to 13mm which adds up exactly to the before and after change in my bodyheight and the xray looks nice and symmetrical. Now that it is all aligned right all kinds of problems are gone including all the "mechanical" ones. Bone on bone crunching, pain, "locking up", wrong move really bad pain etc totally stiff in low back (now gone). I think if one has these kinds of problems (for years...)then one might be a good candidate for ADR. I am sure that not having all that stiffness is better for the rest of my spine in the long term, lets hope.

Regarding the facets. I never had problems with the facets and my degeneration had been going on for years. I think my disc height had been reduced for 10 or more years with no damage to the facets, it seems. In fact when I fell off my motorbike as a teenager the ortho warned me that there was trouble ahead for my spine and to be careful what I do. This was in Germany at age 16.

Last edited by fuzzy; 05-31-2008 at 06:29 PM.