View Single Post
Old 06-14-2008, 07:05 PM

Unhappy Depressed on antidepressants

I am in need of a revision surgery of 2 levels of ProDiscs but my problem has now become a 3 level problem because of L3/4 going bad and after a discectomy at that level that level is now collapsing. Both of my ProDiscs are severely subsiding and are placed wrong. I should never have been a candidate in the first place because of end stage facet arthrosis at L4/5. I am on Cymbalta twice a day for the depression and my depression seems to be worsening. Cymbalta also has an added effect of some pain relief supposedly. As far as the side effects, I think the Fentanyl is killing me day by day by ruining my digestive system. I saw another surgeon this last week and he said if I were his relative he would tell me to see Dr. Pimenta in Brazil or Dr. Regan but first he would tell me to try a spinal cord stimulator. I am really scared about the spinal cord stimulator for some reason which may be pushing the stronger depression. This surgeon told me I had an extremely complicated case. I told him that my first PM doc told me that a spinal cord stimulator wouldn't help me and the surgeon said he didn't care what he said that I should go in and get a trial with one. I guess you can try one for a 24 hour to 2 week period with only a portion of it implanted and the controls outside the body. If it works, then the whole thing would be implanted and it is pretty permanent. The surgeon told me it would buy me some time because a new technology was in the development works that will make it fairly easy and much less dangerous to explant the L4/5 ProDisc from the anterior. I also need L5/S1 taken out as well as something done with L3/4. I just see very little hope and the pain seems to be getting worse even with Fentanyl patches and other pain meds. I can't say the depression medicine is helping because my depression is getting worse, but it must be doing more than I think because I went off of it recently for awhile and I felt like killing myself.
I'm sorry if someone thinks I'm airing my dirty laundry...just telling it like it is. I will see my pain management doctor on Thursday and I guess I will talk to him about a spinal cord stimulator. Does anybody have one or know anyone who does? ProDiscs have ruined my life! Thanks!
Roblin