View Single Post
Old 06-22-2008, 04:42 AM

The chances of you having BPPV are not that great. But it can't hurt to try.

This link should be more helpful.

http://www.tchain.com/otoneurology/d...bppv/bppv.html

You still want to keep your appointment for sure. Make sure you note positions which cause your symptoms so you can tell your Doctor. I have a really tough time with this because once I realize I'm having vertigo it's all I can do to just get in some position to make it stop, let alone remember what exact position I was in when it started. I tend to get it in the middle of the night. I'll have night sweats and try to get up and can't. Weird feeling. I can only assume it's because of some strange position I get my neck in when I'm sleeping. I stopped using pillows because I can't keep my head on them and I just end up feeling worse when I do.

About 2/3rds the way down on the link in this post you'll find this information:

Quote:
HOME EPLEY MANEUVER

The Epley and/or Semont maneuvers as described above can be done at home (Radke et al, 1999; Furman and Hain, 2004). We often recommend the home-Epley to our patients who have a clear diagnosis. This procedure seems to be even more effective than the in-office procedure, perhaps because it is repeated every night for a week.

The method (for the left side) is performed as shown on the figure to the right. One stays in each of the supine (lying down) positions for 30 seconds, and in the sitting upright position (top) for 1 minute. Thus, once cycle takes 2 1/2 minutes. Typically 3 cycles are performed just prior to going to sleep. It is best to do them at night rather than in the morning or midday, as if one becomes dizzy following the exercises, then it can resolve while one is sleeping. The mirror image of this procedure is used for the right ear.

There are several problems with the "do it yourself" method. If the diagnosis of BPPV has not been confirmed, one may be attempting to treat another condition (such as a brain tumor or stroke) with positional exercises -- this is unlikely to be successful and may delay proper treatment. A second problem is that the home-Epley requires knowledge of the "bad" side. Sometimes this can be tricky to establish. Complications such as conversion to another canal (see below) can occur during the Epley maneuver, which are better handled in a doctor's office than at home. Finally, occasionally during the Epley maneuver neurological symptoms are provoked due to compression of the vertebral arteries. In our opinion, it is safer to have the first Epley performed in a doctors office where appropriate action can be taken in this eventuality.
Don't take this the wrong way, but it's interesting to see other Cervical Problems related to Vertigo. It's one of those symptoms that occurs but is not nearly as common as our friend pain. It's nice when you get to experience both - NOT.

Please let us know what the ENT comes up with for your diagnosis. I really do hope it's something like a simple ear infection. The cure rates for that is really high and doesn't take that long.

HealthSynergyRx.com