View Single Post
Old 06-24-2008, 07:18 PM

Default 5 Year Post-op

5 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]): Various types of pain at L5S1. There is a sharp, bilateral component that is motion-dependent. There is a chronic component in the general L5S1 area. There is a sacral component that is mostly bi-lateral. Still have episodes of radiating pain (occasionally quite high) and numbness although it's infrequent so it's not a major complaint (knock on wood). My lifestyle remains very restricted. I can't handle noise and lights. I walk on the slow side. I want the lumbar to be flexed as much as possible such as when you curl up in a ball. I get break-through pain from twisting, taking a large step or other motions that are departures from being flexed. I can only sit on low, flat and hard-to-firm surfaces otherwise I get break-through pain. This is weird--I have a strong preference to sit tilted so that my weight is carried by the left side of my butt-bone. As a result the muscles on the left side of my spine seem to be larger. I take Neurontin, as much tramadol or oxycodone as they'll give me, which is not a lot. I don't know why but NSAIDs don't seem to help much anymore.

2003 L5S1 Charite
1981 L5S1 Discectomy