View Single Post
Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 AM

Smile being patient, the biggest test of faith

eddie,
i can remember 5yrs, 11mos, and 7gays ago, i was still in a lot of pain, back pain, groin pain, nerve pain from my prodisc surgery, at 5months i watched Mark and another friend play tennis, i thought i would never feel good enough to do the same, as i was also a slow healer, but i realized after my surgery that i had suffered with my back pain for a very long time, and it was going to take a long time to feel good again. look what your body has been through, your guts were shoved up in your belly, your groin sliced open, natural discs removed and the artificial discs installed with nothing more than what looks like some chromed & sterilized auto mechanics tools, like a hammer and chisel, and your vertabrael bones jacked apart to fit the right sized metal discs, it takes time for your tissues, muscles, and nerves to settle down and heal. Don't sweat it too much, enjoy the help your getting for a few hours a day to make your life easier, love those kitties and the time you can spend playing with them, keep a pillow nearby to hug when you feel a cough coming on, along with the soft brace, it's not a 1/2 bad way to go. Sounds to me like you are doing great just 23 short days after major surgery!! do keep up the walking, it was what got me through my early days after surgery, to walk for 3hours through a mall, WOW thats fantastic, and lower your sights a bit to see positive things in taking a few extra steps than earlier that same day, time does heal. i think we tend to expect to much in a little bit of time, take the meds if it makes you feel better, there will be plenty of time to wean yourself off of them at a later time, and listen to what your body is telling you, especially to slow down a bit, just remember we do all heal at a different pace........
here i am about 6years to the day post op with ZERO back leg or butt pain, no groin pain, no meds, no limits, and i still have to pinch myself to see if it's reality or a dream, hopefully you will be saying the same as time goes by!
gary
After a botched spinal tap where my L4/L5 disc exploded i underwent a laminectomy in 1979, and ran from spinal surgery ever since, then in 2002 i met DrDelamarter in Santa Monica- and my life as i knew it changed dramatically, I consider myself the "ProdiscPosterBoy" I am in the US Trials and one of the first in California to recieve 2 Lumbar Prodiscs, nomorepain-nomoremeds