View Single Post
Old 08-01-2008, 12:34 AM

Default re fentanyl transdermal patches

A friend of mine who is on Methadone was going to attend her son's wedding 5 years ago and she wanted something that offered more pain control for the event.

It was held outdoors in Vegas in the summer. It was extremely hot. Her doctor had prescribed some Fentanyl patches and she had tried them before leaving for the trip/wedding.

She got thru the wedding but became deathly ill upon the car ride back from Vegas and had to be hospitalized for an accidental near lethal overdose due to the supposed increased activation of the patch in the heat.

While she had tried them out here in SoCal, she thought she had regulated herself as necessary for her trip but did not expect the heat to affect her that way. I had mentioned this factor to her before going only because I heard the heat could potentiate the Fentanyl patch quite a bit but she was he** bent on achieving maximum pain relief for the wedding/reception.

Not smart. We need to be careful not only of how other drugs can potentiate our medications but also various factors such as weather, lack of food, water and so forth.