View Single Post
Old 09-01-2008, 10:49 PM
Administrator

Man oh man... the surgical decision is so tough. For years, I've been too high functioning to consider surgery. I still am, but the episodes are getting worse. The radicular symptoms are getting worse.

I'm having a pretty bad episode now. It's very interesting that the face symptoms are very active with this, but in a different way. I was not specific enough when I said that the discography lit up these symptoms in my typical pattern. The normal pattern was there, but the area lit up on discography extended down the left side of my neck. With this episode, left side of face is more active than normal. Interestingly, it's extending around my neck and shoulder area as I remember in the disco. Unfortunately, it's even worse than that and includes most of my shoulder most of my arm... greater on the inside than outside.

Purpose of the post is not to whine... I think people will find it interesting that I have this corrolation in a very atypical pattern that does not follow the dermatome charts. Also of note is the fact that my surgical decision is not any easier than any of yours. Most of the time, I'm saying that I'm in too good of shape to consider surgery. When I'm in episode, I'm saying that I know it's only going to get worse... I stand better chance of success if I go earlier rather than later.... what am I waiting for... the big episode that will completely knock me down and may be dangerous?

After the discography, I was saying that if I did surgery, I'd probably try C5-6-7 and leave C3-4 alone because re-entry for the c-spine is not a problem and that the symptoms associated with 3-4 are only annoying. With this development that gives me even clearer corrolation to 3-4 puts me back into the split 3-level spanning 4-levels category. I know several 4-level patients... but it's still a big surgery and a risk. This second, I'm leaning towards surgery... maybe in a few days this will be blown over and I'll again be too good to consider surgery.

What's a mother to do?

Yes, I'll have some cheese with my whine.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org