View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Dave,

Welcome to the forum!

If I understand the video, you measure tension in the tissues, then target a 'massage like' therapy on the areas that are tense.

I watched the Pulstar video... it states something like, in recent studies...

> 50% of patients with neck pain received a 100% reduction in pain in 4 visits or less.

> 1/2 of patients with low back pain received a 100% reduction in pain in 4 visits or less.

Wow... this almost sounds too good to be true!

I do believe that a some patients with spinal problems will respond to conservative treatment. For many of us it is because we will heal anyway and conservative treatment is just what we happen to be doing while we are healing. Others will benefit from placebo value. Some small percentage of the patient population that I'm used to dealing with actually responds well to conservative care that includes decompression machines, PT, massage, chiropractic, etc... IMHO, patients with serious structural problems in their spine stand a very small chance of success with these treatments, but I have seen a few who have gotten wonderful success. There are many successes out there that I don't understand and I believe that we should try what we can to avoid surgery, but there needs to be some reasonableness to the treatments (except for those who will just get better anyway, or who will benefit from the placebo value).

Claims of 100% reduction in pain for 50% of the patients really makes me question either the validity or veracity of the study, or the patient population that is included in the study. For the people I know with real structural problems in their spine, results like these are nowhere near realistic.

I look forward to patients coming here and discussing their experiences. I do not doubt that there will be many successes. I hope to discover that my skepticism is unwarranted and that spine patients trying multiple impulse technology truly do enjoy a success rate that is monstrously higher than anything else we've heard of. (Maybe not what we've heard of, but what actually pans out.)

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 10-30-2008 at 06:51 PM.