View Single Post
Old 11-21-2006, 07:31 PM

Default MRI RESULTS....What does this mean?

I am a 29 yr old mom of 2. I had a 2 level decompression in 2004. Things were GREAT!! Then all of a sudden in September 2005, I started noticing pain in my low back, and almost like a 'popping' sound(feeling)?? I have continuous flare-ups, and lately it is really making my leg spasm???? But the pressure in my low back is UNBELIEVEABLE!!!!

This is a recent MRI I had, no idea what it all means, stands for etc....If there is anyone here who might be able to explain it in laymans terms I would appreciate it!!!! THANK YOU!!!

RADIOLOGIC FINDINGS:
Assuming that there is a small non-mobile disc between S1 and S2, the level of the surgery (Laminectomy) is at L5.

T11-T12: There is a mild posterior disc bulge which is unchanged with no significant spinal stenosis.

T12-L1, L1-L2, L2-L3 and L3-L4, essentially normal.

L4-L5: There is no significant disc space narrowing, but there is a diffuse posterior disc bulge with associated moderate facet hypertrophy. These changes are responsible for a moderate spinal canal stenosis, as well as mild bilateral lateral foraminal stenosis.

L5-S1: There had been a prior Laminectomy. There is no significant disc space narrowing, but there is a diffuse posterior disc bulge with a superimposed posterocentral focal disc protrusion, which is unchanged. No significant spinal canal stenosis. Bilateral facet hypertrophy. Secondary, moderate bilateral lateral foraminal stenosis.

Vertebral alignment is preserved. The medullar conus is behind L1.

Artifacts were seen in the superficial soft tissue of the back, at the level of
L4-5, consistent with the prior surgery.

IMPRESSION:
L4-L5: Known moderate spinal canal stenosis at L4-5 due to diffuse posterior disc bulge, with associated mild bilateral lateral foraminal stenosis.

L5-S1: Prior L5 Laminectomy with residual posterior disc bulge and posterocentral disc protrusion. No significant spinal canal stenosis, but moderate bilateral lateral foraminal stenosis.