View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 01:00 PM

Default re bending at waist

Something else that might be helpful during acute periods esp. is placing something that one can sit on and easily reach down to pick things up if necessary such as in the kitchen. During my worst years I had a chair with wheels on it as I couldn't take things out of the oven bending over and squatting bothered my knees greatly because of arthritic changes and past surgery in right knee~ or just whatever might be comfortable to sit on and move forward with either a grabber or using one's own ability to bend.

I've also learned to have a light weight low stool type of thing that I can carry around and place where needed for when I'm really bad and have to work low to the ground doing something.

Another thing to consider is the vacumn (for women). I bought an Oreck as it's only 7 lbs and very reliable. I think now there are many lightweight vacumns on the market now. Also long handled cleaning tools so that you don't have to bend at all when mopping or scrubbing. To wipe surfaces get something that attaches drying surface to bottom of long handled item and don't bend at all or squat or get down on your knees.

If you can hire someone to clean for you as that saves lot's of bodily bother.