View Single Post
Old 12-21-2008, 02:38 PM

Default re your case

Hi Kathy,
Welcome to the forum. I'm sorry to hear what brings you here however glad you are here to get some support and resource information. Desperate and considering lower spine surgery sounds quite familiar to me!!

I was an RN when I first injured my back in '82. Roughly it was L3-L5S1 and I had my first discectomy in '89, my 2nd in '92 (by this time I had gone on to become an NP because I could no longer do staff nursing.

What brought me to my very first surgery is really what you mentioned re number of times back going out and inability to be on my feet very long daily and of course ~ pain.

In the last 8 years I've been recommended to have 3 level global fusion, 2 level ADR, then lastly ADR at L4 and fusion at L5S1.

I am nearly 55 and while I had decided to wait for technology to improve, my spine is continuing it's decline degeneratively and with osteoporosis post menopause.

I think that you are at least in a good position re not having previous surgeries and technology have progressed as it has and still I would recommend getting several opinions in a timely fashion and utilizing the best surgeon you are able for the surgery whichever it should turn out to be. I agree w/Dale re talking w/Mark as he can be of great assistance w/all this.

My best wishes to you re this journey and again, welcome. I hope you will continue to update us with information along your journey and meanwhile I'm just wondering if you're doing anything for pain relief medication wise?

Last edited by Maria; 12-21-2008 at 02:43 PM.