Thread: New Here
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:23 AM

I was in incredibly good condition going in to this surgery. Even though I was seriously impaired, from a dog/bicycle accident, I was very fit pre-surgical. I rode over 1,800 miles the season of the surgery, I was 163 lbs and 10% body fat at the time of the surgery, and, every physician that I knew, personally stated that it was an aggressive surgery, but knew me and that I could handle it. I also walked an incredible distance that year and worked full-time until I was operated on. I insisted on having the surgeries done at the same time. I did not have it in me to get back on a plane and go back to Germany for a second operation, I was off of work for such a short period of time, as I am an executive, that I had it planned to the T for my surgery and recovery, and, being a manager (control freak), I knew what I was in for.

I am definitely not the poster boy for someone to follow for the surgery or recovery. I had the surgery on November 4th, resumed full driving on November 18th after flying home on the 17th, drove 10.5 hours one way to Minnesota for Christmas, drove my Mother-In-Law all over creation the entire vacation, returned home 10.5 hours two weeks later, returned to work full-time at exactly two months to the date of the surgery, returned to Spinning as soon as I returned home and active snowshoeing, returned to bicycling in April and rode 2,500 miles the first season while healing from the surgery, rode over 2,100 miles this past season, etc. and have never looked back. My surgery was covered by the homeowners insurance, from a lawsuit, and I settled with BC/BS Medical for the full cost of the surgery, after they denied it 2 times, so I made money on the surgery.

Stenum was good to me both during the pre and post surgical care. I have heard many of the stories about Stenum but felt that I got great care from them. I also went around Germany as much as possible while we were over there. I was somewhat fatigued from having such an aggressive surgery but participated in many activities and treated it like a second honeymoon.

I also hope that I am not needing any more assistance as I have had my fair share of issues over the years with my spine.

Thanks for the welcome.

Terry Newton

Last edited by Terry Allen Blackburn; 01-03-2009 at 05:26 AM.