View Single Post
Old 01-07-2009, 07:13 PM

Default welcome and don't give up on insurance

Hi Kathy,

Welcome to this group. Although I don't post much, I read what others have written and have found the information to be very useful. I am currently home recovering from a 3 level Prodisc C (C4-5, 5-6, 6-7). My surgery for ADR was initially denied by my insurance company as "experimental". I appealed and it was again denied....this was after FDA approval of single level Prodisc C procedures. I almost gave up on insurance and started making plans to spend our retiement money to go to Germany to have the surgery done there. However, I was extremely lucky to have a dr. that was willing to fight for me and my right to have the surgery that I needed. He wrote letters appealing the insurance companies decision. I also got my H.R. department involved, who got the broker for the insurance company involved. Eventually, we came to some agreements that at least allowed me to have the surgery done. The cost of two of the implants has not yet been resolved, but I will keep fighting to get them paid for! The insurance company did agree to pay for the surgeon, hospital costs and one implant. I'll try to keep this group undated as to how it all ends up. Basically, my message to you is don't give up! You have rights. I made dozens, maybe hundreds of phone calls to my State Insuance Commissioner and others who offered suggestions or information. Keep this group updated on your progress and how you are feeling! Best wishes, Melody