View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 03:44 PM

Default More Questions, Never Ending!

Mark, I moved this from another site to my post asking for help.

Quote:
I am sooo confused. Dr. Fenk-Mayer recommended 3 cervical replacement discs - no discogram on C4-7. However she informed me that I might need a 4th so would do a discogram prior to surgery on C3-4 only. I had no pain because the dye went in and out, no pressure, no pain nada. Why are you saying that the test is painful? Was C3-4 ruptured? not buldging? The other disc's were making a dent in my spinal cord, that's why I thought surgery was recommended. I posted earlier that I need some questions answered, so if you all have time I'd love to hear from you. Sandy
Your answer Mark:
Quote:
If there are obvious structural problems at 3 levels, especially with spinal cord involvement, then there is no need to do discography on them. There is no "take it or leave it" decision to be made... they are going even if they are not painful. However, you can have these structural issues that need to be addressed, and they may not be your pain generators. If there is a disc next to the obviously needing replacement levels that is bad, discography there will keep them from leaving a disc that is causing substantial symptoms.
Quote:

Ok, I understand why they didn't bother doing a disco on C4-7, had not choice there. And I read your post on your discogram. But what does it mean when the fluid runs in an out of your disc, my C3-4. Why was that level replaced?, it didn't hurt. I too was dreading this, in fact I asked Dr. FM if they would just go ahead and do the 4 and forget the discogram. LOL I trust that I needed the 4 levels, am not questioning this, just would like to know what was wrong with that disc. Don't know why I didn't ask questions then when I was surrounded by experts!

My pain pre-op was less than my pain now. I'm 9 months post-op, am taking tramadol, zanaflex, tylenol and ativan at bedtime. This combination doesn't get rid of the pain, doesn't make me sleepy, don't sleep well at night. I'm concerned, that's why I'm asking questions. There are so many people still in pain, that have tried so many things, it's mind boggleing. Thought if I understood my MRI it was a place to start.

Even though I'm not disappointed in my 4 prodisc-C's, I don't think there is a better surgeon for mulitples than Dr. Bertagnoli and I don't think I would have fewer difficulties with fusion AND I'm still mobile. I wanna be pain free!!!

Not being able to find a doctor here who will see me is difficult - guess surgeons don't like to do follow up, unless they do the surgery. I finally ask Dr. B to call Dr. McLain at the Cleveland Clinic (who I have seen multiple times prior to surgery) and that worked. I have an appointment on the 22nd. Hopefully between a spine doctor and their pain management department, I'll get some answers. I would like to ask intelligent questions, I've never felt so overwhelmed. Anything has to be better than my poor family doctor who tries to help, but isn't well-informed concerning ADR's.

Mark, wow didn't know you were having more surgery - cervical now. You two make a good pair! Was surprised to hear all your concerns since you see so many surgeries. Always more difficult when it's YOU. When is surgery scheduled? You aren't going to be with a patient too, are you?

You will be in our thoughts and prayers, Sandy