View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 04:56 PM
Administrator

You didn't copy the "I'm not a doctor" qualifiers... please take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Discography has many different ways to show pathology. The pain we are trying to generate by pressurizing the disc can only be generated if the disc will hold pressure. If there is a substantial annular tear so the contrast just runs out, then the opportunity to generate the "pressure" pain is not present. However, they can see the pathology... they can see the contrast immediately run through degenerated-looking tissues, through the tear and into the canal area.

With such an annular tear, it's possible that the level is painful due to chemical irritation of the spinal cord or exiting nerve roots. They can't be certain. It's a crap shoot... more levels? risk leaving a pain generator? I've seen the decision go both ways and it depends on the intuition of the doctor.

It's also possible that your pain is not coming from the ADR's or those levels, but from the surrounding musculature. I don't think that pain free is a reasonable expectation after a 4-level surgery. Some get it, but they are lucky. Sorry, but I'm not a sugar coat it kind of guy. We certainly don't expect things to get worse. Hopefully you'll experience substantial improvement as your body gets used to your new alignment.

All the best,

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org