View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 12:23 AM

Default 3 Year ADR Update

The 3 year anniversary was Aug 22 but with MGH down I didn't have anywhere to post an update. So here ya go...

Surgery Date: Aug 22, 2003
Charite L5S1/Zeegers
At time of surgery
49 yo, male, BMI 22, no smoke, otherwise healthy

At 3 years post-op
Bilateral pain at the L5S1 level. There is a sharp soreness pain that is motion dependant. There's a mostly persistent component of pain that I describe as being hyperextended to the point of great discomfort or pain. Putting the lumbar spine in flexion helps reduce the discomfort. As a result I sleep curled up in a ball. There's a deep ache that comes from the L5S1 area that I attribute to the facets, although I can't say for sure. Finally I noticed this, if I get out of my rather small allowable activity envelope it feels like I've sprained something. Typically this marks the beginning of a flare-up that can last a day or over a week. I'm not always sure what brings this on. If you've ever wretched the bejeebers out of your ankle to the point where it swells up like a softball you know the feeling.

After 3 years of being undecided about the success of the surgery, I've decided it wasn't the best choice. Of course I'll never know how the other courses of action might have turned out. Those would have been to live with pain until I auto-fused or to have a surgical fusion.

Jim