View Single Post
Old 01-16-2009, 11:02 PM

I just think most of us want our old life back. I was prepared to make some adjustments after surgery, but, only if I needed to. I really wanted to go back to all of the things I enjoyed before surgery. If that means taking risks then, so be it.

Then fear and common sense stepped in. The people who know me know that I have returned to a full life after ADR. I have bicycled many, many miles since my surgery.

What people do not know is that I have not resumed skiing, either downhill or cross-country. I have a fear about my solid metal discs. The idea works like this: These discs are metal on metal design. There is no longer any cushion between my vertebrae and, I have solid metal between. What happens if I fall on my rump? I am imagining a possibility of the impact being so hard, that my vertebrae would fracture. Imagine what that could do to the rest of what I have left in my life. That is a risk that I may not be prepared to take. That is why I am very careful walking in the Winter and, I have stopped doing some of the things I enjoy.

Any answers to my concerns?

Terry Newton