Thread: Spine - food
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 PM

Default Great thread! :D

In my humble opinion, I would say a lifestyle that is full of lean meats (lean turkey, chicken, etc.), fresh fruits and veggies, unprocessed foods, low in saturated fat... stay away from fast food, junk food, trans / saturated fats, etc.

I eat a lot of "organic" foods and try to eat "healthy." If you can believe it, I used to play Left Tackle/Defensive Tackle in high school football. I was a fatty then---I weighed 210 lbs (I'm 6 feet tall).

I went into surgery at 17 and they said my cholesterol was high (and 210)...I made a decision right there on the surgical table to change my lifestyle post-op. I initially lost 70 lbs (down to 140lbs--too thin). Now I hover around 175-180 with about 6% BF (I used to be down to 4% when I was lifting weights a few months ago ).

Anyway, I am blabbing again. Your best bet: you can't control your genetics, but you can control what you put in your body. I think a lifestyle (not a diet) with the healthy food examples above is best--those of us with a genetic predisposition for spine issues--do yourself a favor, and eat well to limit the comorbidities that can contribute to DDD (obesity, high cholesterol, inactivity, etc.). OK, stepping down from the soapbox...
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.