View Single Post
Old 01-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Administrator

I've always been pretty cynical, but have sometimes been surprised by a deep emotional response I did not expect. I remember seeing the Vietnam Veteran's Memorial for the first time... walking up to it, thinking about the controversy surrounding it's design. I was not ready for how moving an experience it would be. It's so very powerful.

I stayed home today to watch the inauguration and was not expecting to be moved to tears by it. There were not any specific words or performances that set me off... it's just that big a deal. It's hard to imagine that it's not all that long ago when this would have been unthinkable.

Invited to the inauguration today were the surviving Tuskegee Airmen. Against all odds, they saw combat in WWII and had a record of service that is beyond amazing. When the war ended, in Europe, they were treated as heroes. When they returned to the US, at the bottom of the ramps leaving the boats they were greeted by signs that said, whites this way, coloreds over there.

Whatever your polital persuasions... I hope you can agree that this is a momentous occasion. Yes, Terry.... a great day for America!

Mark
2002 L4-S1 Charite' ADR - SUCCESS!
2009 C3-C4, C5-C6-C7, T1-T2 ProDisc-C Nova
Summer 2009, more bad thoracic discs!
Life After Surgery Website
President: Global Patient Network, Inc.
Founder: www.iSpine.org

Last edited by mmglobal; 01-20-2009 at 10:09 PM.