SURGERY LOCATION/CLINIC: Warrington UK

DEVICE(s), LEVEL(s): 2 level Active C

COST = Nil on National Health
AMOUNT BILLED:N/a
INSURANCE ALLOWED:N\A
OUT OF POCKET: N/A
TRAVEL: 500 miles
EXPLANATIONS? N\A

ONSET OF LUMBAR PROBLEMS, DATE OF INJURY, CAUSE, ETC...: I do have some left buttock and heel pain this is 10 months now. The neck symptoms began over 2 years ago. My lumbar Facet has a cyst which is due to be removed in Feb 09 and is hopefully going to address the pain

PRIOR SPINE SURGERIES AND PROCEDURES (IDET, ESI, etc...): None

PRE-OP MEDICATIONS: Paracetamol Ibrufen Diazepam tramadol

PRE-OP DIAGNOSTICS (discogram, nerve root blocks, etc...): MRI x 2 physical exam x 4

PRE-OP NEUROPATHIES (what, where, & degree of pain, numbness, tingling, sexual/bladder/bowel symptoms, etc.):

I have had Cervical spine sugery due to severe constant pain. During the time I suffered with the neck my lower spine has developed problems which I have not had any treatment for yet so sorry if the story it a bit confusing it is to me too!

I had left arm pain after a fall down a bank onto my left arm Xray showed sprain , but pain was like tennis elbow and continued for 9 months .I then developed left trapezius burning , and continuous , after returning from a holiday in India where I had some very heavy Auyvedic massages and treatments.

The pain worsened (6- 8/10) as the months progressed had MRI which although said it might be the discs said it was unlikely and I should see a Rheumalologist which diagnosed Myofacial pain , with no identifiable trigger pointes.

Pain worsened (mostly 7 /10) became larger in area , and like a major toothache all the time , except when lying down when the pain was nil! Had physio and strapping which helped but became allergic to elastic.

Pain spread to the right side of the neck after heavy massage, was burning and remains, pain moved between both sides and worsened.

Pain developed in right buttock then left came and went. Pain developed more throbbing in left buttock and heel. Saw Pain Clinic Consultant who reviewed my 1st MRI, he said my neck was severely degenerated and the cause of the pain. He said I would never be out of pain now, would haveto have a fusion, and would have arms symptoms soon which would worsen til I couldnt stand it and I would have to see a neurosurgeon.

I was shocked and devastated. He suggested my buttock and heel pain was more degeneration in the lower spine and order full spine MRI

MRI was reported on by 2 trainee Radiologists and said formanial stenosis in the neck, affecting C5/6 C6/7 and severe degeneration loss of lordosis etc. The lumbar discs said to be "normal", facets L5S1 degenerated bilaterally It reported a cyst on the left exit formanen of L5S1

Was referred to a local Spinal surgeon who looked at new MRI and examined me.. He said nonsense! the neck was no more degenerated than anyone else my age, and my motion was very good, hypermobile . He said lumbar discs on lower 2 levels had a very slight loss of disc height and facet satisfactory. here is He said I had a pain syndrome.

I asked for a 2nd Opinion with Mr S. He said my neck was severely degenerated and the cause of my pain, left arm becoming a bit numb and sensitive to touch. He offered to do 2 level ADR to hopefully address the neck pain , which is widespread and constant on the upper back He did not look at the lumbar MRI at this stage as the referral to him was only for the neck.

Symptoms in my arms not too bad but left hand lost its feeling in part and typing was a problem before the op This is resolved now

PRE-OP CONDITION (Please include %leg pain/% back pain, pain levels, type of pain, ability to work and function, disability status, etc.... be direct, but be as verbose as you need to):
I became so distressed about my constant pain I had to stop work I had no meds to touch it I couldnt stop crying it was totally awful every day was horrible. Until I took Tramadol , but this was after I went off sick and I wasnt allowed back then because of te lack of diagnosis.

My journey to find out what was really wrong was hard and long/ Although I could do anything , I didnt want to, I couldnt provoke pain it was there !! It did go away when I lay down and still does but not completely now. Leaning forward for any length of time was the only thing to provoke it in intensity.

My buttocks andd heels joined the problems 10 months ago, they are not constant but are problematic they dont stop me walking its just no fun when you feel you are walking on an electric fence! Also my buttocks, the left is very bad at times but sometimes doesnt hurt sitting is the postion it hurts in mainly the left side its throbbing and severe at times. I am due to have a facet cyst removed to address this

TIME POST-OP AT ORIGINAL POST HERE: 4 months

DESCRIBE YOUR SURGICAL EXPERIENCE: It was smooth and the main problem was I had a haematoma (huge) when I woke , which has stretched my neck skin the scar is really excellent. Mr S was brilliant he came immediately and showed me x-rays of impants perfectly placed for a neck, which is esssentially bad in postion (it is still tipping forward)

The pain when I woke was immense, and I did not get relief from morphine on top amounts. The anesthetist came to tell me I could have whatever I wanted he had rarely seen such a "horrible neck" and they had to do alot of work to get the implants in. He is famous for being really tight with medication! Voltarol was best the pain subsided in 3 days gradually. My throat was very very panful for 2 days, when I swallowed.

RATE FUNCTIONALITY / SATISFACTION AT INTERVALS BELOW:
I had full mobility immediately and still have , although now I can provoke pain on movement doing exercies and I never could beforehand

FUNCTIONALITY:
1. Very poor: much worse... disabled after surgery.
2. Poor: worse after surgery.
3. Neutral: No improvement, or improvements offset by new problems.
4. Fair, some improvement, limitations are still serious.
5. Good, substantial improvement, some limitations. a cross between this and the one above I had return of pain week 2 managed now with drugs and physio. I think I had no choice and was lucky enough to get one of the best surgeons in England. I am glad I had it done and the pain is less than before I dont have limitations its just hard to push through pain and motivate
6. Excellent: no limitations.:;

SATISFACTION:
1. Very sorry I had the surgery.
2. Somewhat sorry I had the surgery.
3. Too soon to tell, or I'm ambivalent about the surgery.
4. I'm somewhat glad I did my surgery.
5. I'm very glad I did my surgery. yes I have no regrets glad I had it

Don't forget the detail update section below!

DATE UPDATED: __jan 08_______ FUNCTIONALITY: good___ SATISFACTION: _good__ [6 WEEKS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: good although pain on motion which wasnt ther before_________ FUNCTIONALITY: _good__ SATISFACTION: _good__ [3 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 MONTHS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [1 YEAR POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [2 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [3 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [4 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [5 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [6 YEARS POST-OP]

DATE UPDATED: _________ FUNCTIONALITY: ___ SATISFACTION: ___ [7 YEARS POST-OP]

6 WEEKS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ECT... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 MONTHS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

1 YEAR POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

2 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

3 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

4 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

5 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

6 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

7 YEARS POST-OP - DESCRIBE LIFESTYLE / PAIN / MEDICATIONS / NEUROPATHIES / ETC... (discuss surgery induced symptoms [leg pain?]):

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by mmglobal; 05-17-2008 at 09:15 PM.