Thread: Another Newbe!
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 05:14 AM

Default Another Newbe!

Hello,
My name is Phylly and I am also from the "other " site. I had prodisc surgery a little over a year ago L4-S1. I did fairly well in my recovery except for my sciatica which never improved. i always felt that I had a back problem and another problem jointly so when my back improved the sciatica and leg pain did not.

My surgeon, Dr. Delamarter, did a foraminotomy 6 months later to try to decompress the nerve in my leg. Although the sciatic problem is a little better the back pain came back like a vengeance. My challenge now is to find out what to do next.

I saw Dr. Patrick Johnson at Cedars recently. He felt that I had a mechanical problem and would need to fuse the discs. He asked for a myelogram to look over area where I have so much pain from the surgery. I just received the report and it looks like I have numerous bilateral nerve root sleeve cysts at levels all along the lumbar spine.

I was most concerned about my sacral spine since so much pain is in that area but the report does not go below S1. I hope that the films show that area. I have another appointment with Dr. Johnson in two weeks to ask many questions before having this fusion (or not). I am also meeting with Dr. John Regan, Dr. Delamarter, and a local Dr. to discuss all my options.

Any input on what to ask would be helpful. Would anyone know why I would have a mechanical problem? Bending over repeatedly ( daily activities) brings on extreme pain. Could the cysts be compressing the nerves instead of the discs causing problems? Would I need a fusion if the cysts were removed? Could there also be cysts in the sacrum causing the mild cauda eqina symptoms I have? I have never heard of root sleeve cysts and it seems I have a lot. Could they have come from the other surgeries? They did not show on the last CT Myelogram that I had last April. Anyway, I do not know if cysts are something that most people have and ignore and just write in reports as filler. I was pretty surprised to see so many. Does anyone know about cysts???

I had a complete spine myelogram due the problems in my neck (prior fusion), and my thoracic spine. I guess it will be interesting to get many second opinions.

Anyway, this is my story. I am happy to hear so many familiar voices. I feel very lucky to have this site as a support and resource. Thank you all so much.
Phylly
Discogram concordant pain @L4-S1 Aug. 07
Prodisc ADR's at L4-S1 November 2007
Foraminotomy July 08 for Sciatica
Continued problems and back pain worsened
Prodiscs removed and discs fused at L4-S1 Feb. 09