View Single Post
Old 09-25-2006, 06:00 PM

Default My experience with discography under sedation

Hello Mark and all new readers/contributors!

Thank you Mark, for starting up a website to support and inform the spine community! We can all use as much support and information as possible, and it is a wonderful way for each of us to participate with and contribute to the community.

I wanted to tell the spine community a bit about my discogram experiences. I have been through 11 years of testing and treatments for chronic back pain. My first discogram back in the late 90's was by far the most painful experience in my life. Keep in mind that I have breezed through MRIs, MRIs with contrast, myelograms, nerve root blocks, steroid injections and trigger point injections. I was told it would "hurt" and did it ever. This is my experience on doctor/nurse speak: "It won't hurt"= there will be a little discomfort; "There will be some discomfort"= it will hurt; "It will hurt"= you will be out of your mind with pain!

Anyway, I went to a highly regarded hospital in Boston. The needle placement went OK, but I did notice that my positioning, with me on my side/stomach and my arm up seemed to restrict the blood vessel in my neck. When he injected the dye into L5-S1 (the first level he chose), I felt the most excruciating unrelenting pain of my life. It felt like a huge pain wave that was only getting bigger. I immediately got all sweaty, nauseous, and cold at the same time, and within seconds I felt like I was very close to passing out. They said I had a vaso-vagal reaction, where your blood pressure drops and therefore your brain isn't getting enough oxygen. I have only fainted one other time in my life so this was very unusual. I had to stop the test. I felt so physically traumatized that I just hid under the covers for several hours afterwards in a recovery area.

My next discogram (a few years later) I agreed to because I negotiated with the doctor that he would NOT test L5-S1 -- I/we already knew that one was bad. There was some pain but not bad. One disc showed it was not a pain generator, and the other was questionable but the conclusion was that it was not a pain generator. No wonder it didn't hurt so much.

The third discogram was with Dr. Zeegers prior to my ADR surgery in July 2006. He wanted to do the dreaded L5-S1, and well as L3-L4 and L4-L5. Since he knew of my experience, he gratefully offered the test under sedation (but i would still be aware). I agreed. I have the feeling I was the second patient he tested under sedation.

I remember the test, but not in a traumatized way. I remember clearly feeling pain, and "telling" him i.e. AAOOWWHH!!!, but I remember it in an intellectual way, not in a fearful stomach-tightening way. Dr. Zeegers was able to get the information he needed, and then could make a decision about whether to proceed with the ADR surgery. And I also liked the idea that my surgeon would do the test, so that he could see firsthand what was going on.

I am so appreciative of Mark for spearheading this idea of discogram under sedation for those patients who need this. And I commend Dr. Zeegers for being willing to adopt a new strategy for helping patients with this test. Between the both of you, you are changing the experience of spine patients for the better. Thank you both for starting a new approach that will hopefully catch on in the U.S. and around the globe!

Last edited by fiddle; 09-25-2006 at 06:02 PM.