View Single Post
Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 PM

Hi CindyLou. I agree that the long acting pain medications make more sense. It sounds like you met with someone who is knowledgeable about dealing with chronic pain. The long acting medications combined with breakthrough medication leads to less chances of a psychological dependency issue with the pain medication. You may still become physically dependent which is easy to treat by a competent physician that understands this. Too many primary care physicians get in to prescribing the short acting medications and then freak out when the patient shows signs of dependency, then cuts the patient off. This forces patients to do desperate things, as the withdrawal syndrome is so difficult.

I have also had the SI joint issues. I did get injections prior to going home for Christmas which did help some. I may need some more sooner than anticipated as the physician who did my injections did not understand my history very well. My normal physiatrist was on vacation so I was desperate to get something in to my system before vacation.

I wish you well and continued good success with the new pain management physician.

Terry Newton
1994 ruptured C6-C7
1995 Hemi-Laminectomy C5-C6, C6-C7 Mayo Clinic
Bicycle Accident 2004
MRI, EMG, Facet Injections, Epidural Blocks, Lumbar Discogram.
Stenum Hospital Surgery November 4, 2006
Prestige Disc C5-C6, C6-C7
Maverick Disc S1-L5, L4-L5