View Single Post
Old 01-22-2009, 03:56 AM

Princess,

I'm sorry your not feeling well after your fall.

I'll offer a different opinion (this is not medical advice). You *may* not have a "bad" doctor, as people are implying. If you don't have "emergent" neuro deficit (*loss of bowel and bladder), in most cases an emergent MRI is not indicated, even with the "weird" feeling in your legs.

It sounds like you had trouble moving your toes and legs one time--it could have even been something as simple as your leg falling asleep.

At minimum with your ongoing symptoms, it sounds like you might have exacerbated a herniation. Most herniations spontaneously resolve and the pain subsides in ~6 months after the majority of "relatively minor trauma."

If you are concerned with your symptoms, I would see if you can be put on the cancellation list at with your doctor if that works with your schedule (they will call you if they have a cancellation). A word of caution: if you do pursue finding a new doctor, it took take just as long to get an initial appointment. They may recommended an MRI, but...

At the end of the day if there is a new herniation / exacerbation of an old herniation, 99% of surgeons are not going to immediately go to surgery. They will likely recommend a course of physical therapy or to go see a physiatrist (a physical medicine and rehabilitation physician).

I'm not trying to minimize your situation or what you are going through. I'm just throwing my $.02 in...

Good luck and keep us posted!
Laminotomy L4/L5 (3.7.97--17 years old)
1999 & 2003 MVA (not at fault both times)
Grade V Tears L4/L5 & L5/L6
2-Level ProDisc® L4/L5 & L5/L6* *lumbosacral transitional vertebra (11.15.03--23 years old)
Dr. Rudolf Bertagnoli -- dr-bertagnoli.com
Pain-free for the last 4.5 yrs.
5.14.09 DSS with Dr. B.
I'm here to help. Only checking PMs currently.