View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 05:19 PM

Angry REPORT: Appointment w/Doctor

Thanks to everyone for all the answers. I went well-prepared w/clipboard and my list of questions !

Almost a total waste! The doctor (head of the spine department at Cleveland Clinic which is rated #3 in the U.S.) said - "I told you so!" (not his exact words, but almost) and he "wouldn't touch me with a 10 foot pole!"

He felt that any doctor who performs a multiple disc replacement (3 or 4) was being irresponsible and he would never submit his patients to unproven, experimental surgeries, something that the German doctors do regularly. Remember I saw him in January prior to my surgery. At the time he said, no fusion. I reminded him of this and ask if No fusion, No ADR, then What? (didn't ask this last Jan) His answer, "cope with it, find a way to manage it, work around it, etc., etc."

I ask for a diagnostic test to see if there was anything that might be causing the new numbness and more pain. His answer was no, he wouldn't ever recommend more surgery, I'd had enough surgery. (my anxiety level was rising even though I had taken an ativan.) He did follow up by testing my movement and strength and said these were excellent and said there were no mechanical problems with the devices. He said that Dr. Bertagnoli reported that my pain was much better when I was released. I agreed, but said that I was on oxicontin and after the initial pain from surgery I felt pretty good considering my age and 5 hours in surgery. But I thought that after 9 months I had hit a plateau and maybe there was something else causing the pain. Again, his answer was "I told you so." (I know, exaggerating, but he might as well have said it.)

He continued with no surgeons in the U.S. are doing multiples and (you'll love this) and they stopping lumbar ADR's. I replied with, "your own personal doctor, Dr. Delamarter who you highly recommended, has done 3 cervical levels" and I just talked to a gal who had a 3 level with Dr. Chapman in Seattle. His answer! "Well he's a German."

Our last exchange was (I was trying not to @# him off), "you really are a very, conservative surgeon." His reply, "yes, I am and very proud of it." Didn't want to end with his combative reply, so I quickly asked about his Mobi-C trial. He said, "I've completed two, one 1-level and one 2-level which ended well. I am very strict in picking my candidates. I believe for the good of my patients, I let others make the initial mistakes." Whoppee !! so much for trying to leave on a pleasant note.

(Sounds like, Dr. Bill Dillin, that Mark mentioned. Also understand this is probably the reason Cleveland Clinic gets the high national ratings - learn from others, make fewer mistakes. I thought teaching hospitals were supposed to help in researching new problems?)

As he was walking out the door we were both still asking questions, followed him down the hall asking about other non-invasive measures, he finally offered to recommend me to other departments for some follow-up studies, call him when I was ready to start. Guess I accomplished something.

Why are some doctors such *&#%@#??

Well, we are heading south next week. Hopefully with some warm weather, the company of good friends, water exercises, maybe a little golf, I'll return feeling much better. As I've said before, I'm stubborn and I will not accept that I have to suffer from pain. But I'll try to be realistic and take my meds if needed and seek a good PM doctor.

Thank you everyone for your support. It makes a huge difference.

Sandy ** p.s. I'm very fortunate to have a spouse who has gone thru chronic pain and understands it. Unfortunately, I was not as kind to him during that time. I've learned my lesson.
**Dec. 2007 numbness and weakness in left arm/thumb, x-rays, MRI, discs at C4-7 pushing on spinal cord, fusion or ADR out of country
**April 7, 2008, discogram at C3-4, surgery 4 levels, Prodisc-C, Dr. Bertagnoli, Germany