View Single Post
Old 01-24-2009, 11:54 PM

Default 5 months post ADR & Fusion-big problems

Hi everyone,

Im new to this site so please go gently with me! I an 33 and had an accident at work 4yrs ago, which after many investigations and injections lead to a disc decompression in 2006. My surgeon is Mr Lam in London who I have great faith in.

At the end of Jan last year I had more problems with my back, and again after lots of investigations at the end of August (08), I had a Fusion L4-5 (I am congenitally fused L5-S1) and I had a prodisc inserted L3-L4.

I was really positive about recovery and was looking forwards my life being more active again, and getting back to my job, I had been posted in the office and very much looked forwards to going back to clinical work when recovered again, but sadly after about 6 weeks my pain increased considerably, and I was given nerve root blocks S1 due to nerve pain and my leg 'giving way' this did help.

Sadly my pain continued to increase and at my 4 month check my surgeon decided that I would need revision surgery, and in April I am having the legacy rod system and more screws in my fusion site as I am hypermobile and not fusing due to this,and there is risk of me breaking the hardwear. Again I was positive about this helping.

Unfortunately it has just been discovered through my pain clinic consultant that I have problems with my facet joints, my surgeon and I expected this to be at the fusion level, but when looked into its at the ADR level, I had facet joint injections two weeks ago, whilst the local anaesthetic was in there my facets felt wonderful!! and I realised just how much pain they were causing me, sadly this has not lasted and I am in a great deal of pain again. I am really worried about the future, and after reading a great deal about facet problems at adr sites, I do not feel positive at all, I am really worried about being left in this sort of pain, and going back to my job, which is very active and involves alot of activity, bending etc, so I also have to be fit to go back to work (Im a nurse).
My work is not being supportive, and I dont think it will take them long to start discussing ill health retirement. I worked so very hard to get where I am in my career, and at the moment everything in the future seems so uncertain.
Ive been with my partner for 12 years, and he is very understanding and wonderful, but I worry so much that he will just get fed up with it all.
Im sorry for moaning, im usually such a positive person, however this is all very overwhelming for me at the moment.
thanks so much for listening.

hugs,

sarah